DIY Pottery Barn Christmas Decoration

Sunday, December 8, 2013


I love Christmas decorations and always buy a new one for my kids, and often other family members, every year for them to add to their collection.  I was browsing through the Pottery Barn catalogue the other week (and drooling, and browsing, and drooling) and spied this bit of glittery Xmas bling. 
 
Source
You totally know what I thought, don't you?  "Well, isn't that just the cutest little thang? I can do that.".  So I did - although I think mine is an improved version (shhhhh, don't you EVER tell PB I said that!) because they used cardboard and I used MDF letters, which means they will hopefully last the distance and will still be around when I'm rocking my grand-kids in front of the tree, admiring those cute little blingey Xmas initials.

I don't have the best photo of making them because I didn't really plan on blogging about it but I was so happy with the way they turned out, and because they were so super easy, I just thought y'all might want to know how to make them.
 

 All you need is:

MDF initials (I got mine from my second home Spotlight)
Craft glue (I actually used Modge Podge because my kids had emptied my craft glue)
Fine glitter
Piece of ribbon

First, I asked my husband to drill a hole in each initial. I then covered each letter in glue, starting with the insides of the letters first, and then dusted them like crazy with the glitter. I applied the glitter by gently tipping it straight from the container onto the letter (yes, very technical application), nice and thick. That's it. I added a little red gingham check ribbon and hung them on the tree. 
 
 
 
 
I do really love them and I think they'd look equally hot in silver.  They sparkle under the lights and really stand out amongst the other decorations.  They may not be PB but they are uniquely ALBOQ ... and that's okay with me ... and my kids!

2 comments:

  1. I love how this turned out! I get what you mean, it doesn't make any sense to spend so much money on something you can make on your own. And yes, yours is a lot better because they're not made of cardboard. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ritchil, and thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment! I love how they turned out too - sometimes things work and sometimes they don't ... I'm glad these did! Merry Christmas to you! x

      Delete